0
Welcome Guest! Login
0 items Join Now

Joomla Vs Wordpress

    • dallas147's Avatar
    • dallas147
    • Rocketeer
    • Posts: 61
    • Thanks: 0
    • Tryhard web master

    Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • Hi

      I have been working with Joomla! for around 4 years now, and feel I a pretty competent with the CMS. I was just wondering how different Wordpress is compared to Joomla, as I have had a few customers asking for a wordpress website, but I have not looked at wordpress as yet.

      Do they work in a similar fashion, in the way of Components, Modules and Plugins, and does wordpress have components like jomsocial, community builder, and jdownloads etc?

      Cheers
      Dallas
    • Website Design Sydney | Web Hosting Sydney
    • Bob Ateah's Avatar
    • Bob Ateah
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Posts: 4518
    • Thanks: 0

    Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • In my opinion, Wordpress is no where near as powerful as Joomla and there have been many security issues. That's my $0.02!

      Cheers
    • The member formerly known as Roland Deschain
      After your question is solved, please Edit your original post and choose the Solved message icon, thank you!
    • Bredvig's Avatar
    • Bredvig
    • Sr. Rocketeer
    • Posts: 135
    • Thanks: 0

    Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • Hi dallas147

      Have a look on wordpress.org and see what sort of plugins they have... They do have a big database of it, so you should be able to find something.

      To my knowledge then CB and Jomsocial is only for Joomla so far.

      Bredvig
    • dallas147's Avatar
    • dallas147
    • Rocketeer
    • Posts: 61
    • Thanks: 0
    • Tryhard web master

    Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 5 months ago
    • Kathy Rose's Avatar
    • Kathy Rose
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Posts: 726
    • Thanks: 2
    • Freelance web development and design

    Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • I have worked in Joomla for 4 or 5 years now and am just now spending a goodly amount of time exploring Wordpress. I've had a couple of clients request Wordpress and I myself have some interest in it because I see a lot of beautiful sites that use it.

      However some of the Wordpress processes seem a little bit "mickey mouse" compared to Joomla. Maybe it is just that I am so much more comfortable/familiar with Joomla. The backend of Joomla feels so solid.

      On the other hand--is Wordpress more graphic designer-friendly? When I surf musician sites, it seems like Wordpress and a custom design go hand in hand. I see that less with Joomla.

      Thoughts?
    • Kathy
      KT Web Design
      developing Joomla websites in the sweet, sunny South
  • Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Kathy Rose wrote:
      I have worked in Joomla for 4 or 5 years now and am just now spending a goodly amount of time exploring Wordpress. I've had a couple of clients request Wordpress and I myself have some interest in it because I see a lot of beautiful sites that use it.

      However some of the Wordpress processes seem a little bit "mickey mouse" compared to Joomla. Maybe it is just that I am so much more comfortable/familiar with Joomla. The backend of Joomla feels so solid.

      On the other hand--is Wordpress more graphic designer-friendly? When I surf musician sites, it seems like Wordpress and a custom design go hand in hand. I see that less with Joomla.

      Thoughts?
      Joomla has a lot of powerful plugins but tends to have conflict issues. WordPress seems to work a lot smoother but it's more for news/blogging sites
    • http://www.blamza.com - Smartphone, Gaming, and Technology Reviews
  • Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • I'm like Kathy just learning Wordpress and to me seems harder to edit and customize but it may be that I just don't know my way around it yet. I purchased a theme that was like using rocket launcher with no sample data it was just the theme. They did supply a text file with sample data but I had to build the site using directions from them which was really a good thing to help me learn. Unless I'm missing something it is harder to backup your site and move it not like using Akeeba. Would like to hear more from someone skilled at Wordpress may have to wait on Kathy to learn it and ask her, love her work!
    • Kathy Rose's Avatar
    • Kathy Rose
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Posts: 726
    • Thanks: 2
    • Freelance web development and design

    Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Thank you so much for the compliment, Kent!

      It's funny you should mention that about Akeeba backup. I load Akeeba Backup into every Joomla site I build. 'S wonderful.

      I am trying to figure out what the hip extension would be for moving a Wordpress site. I see a couple of them in their plug-in directory but would like to get a recommendation.

      A friend of mine who is very Wordpress oriented recommended BackupBuddy but it costs something like $150 for a developer license. :shock:

      Do you or anyone else have a recommendation for a solid plugin that is not so pricey?
    • Kathy
      KT Web Design
      developing Joomla websites in the sweet, sunny South
    • Dan L's Avatar
    • Dan L
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Posts: 1453
    • Thanks: 0

    Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Bob Ateah wrote:
      In my opinion, Wordpress is no where near as powerful as Joomla and there have been many security issues. That's my $0.02!

      What complete and utter nonsense.
    • Toolbox Digital | Dribbble | Forrst
    • Ohffs's Avatar
    • Ohffs
    • Elite Rocketeer
    • Posts: 1008
    • Thanks: 15

    Re: Joomla Vs Wordpress

    Posted 8 years 1 month ago
    • Dan L wrote:
      Bob Ateah wrote:
      In my opinion, Wordpress is no where near as powerful as Joomla and there have been many security issues. That's my $0.02!

      What complete and utter nonsense.

      This doesn't explain much. Perhaps some more info for us minions? Tell us why you think Wordpress is good or what it can do that Joomla cannot. :D

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds